Monday, June 29, 2009

Priorities...


After a long, trying weekend, I have a lot of things going on in my brain, and most of them are around my priorities - what are they and am I focused on the 'right' things? etc.


All along this journey, the thing that really has gotten me going and kept me going is the physical side effects: looking better & losing weight.


I had several health related issues and am genetically predisposed to certain diseases - most notably heart disease and diabetes - but did that motivate me to take control of my life? Nope. Did my dad's bypass motivate me? Nuh-uh... at least, certainly not the way the thought of looking good in my wedding dress did.


I have mentioned Jonathon Roche's blogtalkradio show several times, and he always brings up the fact that health is a gift, and who cares if you fit into a smaller size? It's about increasing your energy and about creating a healthy future for yourself.


This weekend I finally got that, and realized that I have given myself an amazing gift: I've learned what my body needs nutritionally and physically to achieve optimal health. I have energy in reserve to deal with the good and bad that life throws at me. I have learned the importance of listening to the signals my body gives me when something's not quite right, and to take care of it - be it taking a rest day or a trip to the doctor.


I've also discovered that I've created a solid foundation for my life that has routines and habits in place that carry me through a major or minor crisis.


Yes, I fit into a smaller size pair of jeans and can lift a decent amount of weight, but all of it is wrapped in the package of good health.


That is the best gift and priority of all.


2 comments:

Trainer T.s Fitness said...

Well said, thanks for the share!

We are as a society so number focused its good just to praise the health we are blessed with.

Unknown said...

I love this post! I'm 100% right there with you! I am motivated by fear sometimes. Fear of repeating the fate of my Mom & Grandmother but in the end all we can do it take care of ourselves, live our best & know that we've done all we can do.

Cheers to you, my friend for taking care of you!

And hugs while I'm at it!!! :)