Saturday, June 13, 2009

It was one year ago today...

That I got to say "I do" to the man I love.





I took a lot of work to pull it off (note to future brides: Wedding Planner/coordinator. Pay the money to have someone else do the "day of" craa... er.. stuff. Seriously!) but I couldn't have asked for a better day. Being surrounded by the close friends & family was a fantastic way to start our married life adventure.




The reception was beautiful and the food was great (from what I was told - you never eat at your own party, don't ya know?! :) and we were lucky enough to have time the next day to host a brunch for visiting friends & family so we could actually have time to chat with the folks who traveled so far to see us.


The honeymoon was a welcome vacation for us and I think we slept and spent more time in the pool than exploring the island but did get a little bit of sight seeing in.

After that, thought, is when I *truly* met the man of my dreams. Yes, the man who courted me, that I fell in love with was wonderful and treated me like a queen. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have had a super fancy date a year ago today. LOL!!!

But really, it wasn't until the "I do's" had been said, rings had been exchanged, and the whole deal was sealed with a kiss that the man of my dreams showed up.

It was as if that moment, that wonderful ritual of declaring our love and intention to all the world, allowed a part of us that was locked up tight to be released. That part was the "real" us, the "best" us, that was finally allowed to see the light of day - to grow, mingle and flourish.


Over this past year, I have learned more about myself than in the past decade and I owe that to my wonderful husband. And I have seem grow into an even more amazing, driven, dedicated man than I thought possible (and I could see a lot in him to begin with.)


My only regret is that about 100 miles separate us at the moment - and ironically he's going to see my cousin, who sang at our wedding, perform tonight - but we got to celebrate last weekend and he'll be home tonight.

What will the next 365 days hold for us?

I know I for one am prepared to be amazed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good blog

Unknown said...

Yippeee! I loved reading this & am about 8 months away from my own wedding :) Cannot wait to marry the man of MY dreams!!!

Happy anniversary!

Stephanie said...

It's a fantastically wonderful thing! :)