Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Matrix/red pill kinda day...




No, I'm not sportin' a sleek 'do or a patent leather trench.

And no, no strange guy offered me a red or blue pill (or maybe he did... I DID have some seriously Wacky BoBotm dreams last night! LOL!)

No, today has been an interesting series of events, choices and signs that have me in a rather contemplative - and perhaps a bit esoteric - mood, which, in my opinion, is an improvement over how I felt earlier.

See, a lot of folks around here are talking about "falling off the wagon". They've slipped, they've had bad days, made less than stellar choices and see the situation as hopeless. Maybe they've already decided that they this is yet another reason why they won't succeed. Or maybe they just can't see a way out of the current situation their habits have created.

But here's another Super Secret Piece of Info for Success: There is no wagon.

Really.

Not a one in sight.

There's only expectation of failure or success, and your awareness and perception of the obstacles that life throws at you.



Lemme explain by sharing how my day has been: I woke up this morning to the alarm going off and, for the first time in a long time, I was really tired. That full body achy/can't even open my eyes to find the alarm clock tired. I laid in bed for a few minutes, really grappling with the option of sticking to my planned workout or catching just a little bit more shut eye/snuggle time. I got up to go to the bathroom, hoping that would help get me going, but nope - legs & arm muscles were still achy and I said scr%w it. I went back to bed and fell fast asleep.

Then I've dealt with wonky tummy issues all morning and just feeling generally blah and like there's not *quite* enough coffee in the world today. (Yeah, I know... I'm taking my vitamins and going to bed early tonight...just in case it is a bug.)

Oh, and instead eating my super duper veggie laden healthy lunch, I ditched it in the fridge to have Rocco's with my hubby (mmm... garlicky pizza goodness! And salad!).

Then I had a really awesome conversation with a co-worker who's been going through a lot the last 4 months and by helping her, *I* felt a lot better, and I really felt grateful for all that I had, and all that I've learned along the way.

You see, today could have easily be seen as a screaming "Red Flag"/"falling off the wagon and can't get up" kind of day. But it's really not. Yes I blew off a workout and one healthy meal out of the 5 I'll eat today - it's just life, and these kinds of days happen. I made my choices and today, they worked for me. Other days they wouldn't even be considered, but it's what I needed today.

And that attitude comes from over a year of practice... but one worth developing because after a while, the small stumbles along the way don't feel like HUGE derailments. And the more practice you get in overcoming obstacles will make you realize:

There is no wagon.

*For those of you scratching your heads or struggling to remember which pill was which: "You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." Morpheus describes the effects of the two pills to Neo, The Matrix

The blue pill is like believing there is a wagon and you can fall off it and go back to the way things were, and continually struggle to find your way back.

The red pill is like realizing that, like the spoon, the wagon doesn't exist. We are all give the same set of options - right or left, up or down, pizza or salad - and we have the ability to CHOOSE the option we want. If you CHOOSe the option that gets you closer to your goal, fantastic! If you CHOOSE the one that takes you a little further away - fantastic! Enjoy and learn from the experience, or dust yourself off after the stumble, and move on...

We're all on our own journey down the rabbit hole, so to speak. Its up to you to decide if you want to see how deep it really goes.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know it's totally acceptable to have an off day! I'm with you about living in the rabbit hole & just feel the "wagon" is an excuse. Life has speedbumps & conquering them no matter how easy or hard is what makes us...well...us!

I'll take the red one too! Seems more fun that way!