Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The one where I bite the bullet (and ask for money. ;)


Well, I've talked about it, I've hemmed, I've hawed... and I finally decided just to do it!

I am very excited to announce that I have entered my first 5K race! While I don't really fancy myself as much of a runner, the weather here in Tucson is cooling ever so slightly and making it much more appealing to be outside.

On October 24th, one of the local farms will be hosting The Great Pumpkin Race (http://tinyurl.com/GreatPumpkinRace) and with a name like that, I couldn't resist - next to the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, "It's a Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is my favorite holiday movie.

While my entrance fee will go towards benefiting the Hydrocephalus Foundation and Tedy's Team, I figured it would be a great opportunity to put the FUN back into fundraising. I have greatly enjoyed my fitness journey, and wanted to use my first competitive run (with a bit of walking thrown in) to not only do something good for myself, but also for others.

I have set up a page through First Giving to raise funds for the American Heart Association.

http://www.firstgiving.com/stephanieflagghanley

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both women and men in the United States, and is something that has touched every aspect of my life. From my family, to friends, to co-workers, I know more than my share of people who have suffered from all aspects of this highly preventable disease.

Please help me meet (or exceed ;) my goal of $400 for this event. Any amount will be warmly welcome and I will proudly display the names of all those that donate on my shirt during the race. Remember, all gifts are tax deductible!

Thank you for your support!


No comments: