Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - Wordy edition





I know I've abstained lately from my usual musings on Wednesdays in lieu of sharing amusing, inspiring or through provoking images.

A picture is, after all, worth a 1,000 words.

Thing is, there has been a lot going through my brain since yesterday, although it really started about a year-ish ago.

That's when I decided it was time to figure ME out... what made ME tick, how to make my body respond the way *I* wanted it to, to enlist the help of my inner princesses to make my dream a reality.

I finally *got* the whole goal setting thing. I *got* that you need to build a big dream. I *got* the how AND the why of affirmations.



Essentially, I went from being in the process to the process being in me.

Then I told people about it.

Then I freaked. The "what if's" sprang out of the shadows like gnats, nibbling at my self confidence, threatening to erode the foundation I was so carefully laying for my life.

What if I fail?! What if I don't meet my goals? What if I just made a total fool of myself? What if I lose interest? yadda yadda yadda.

BUT (yes, there's a "but", though this is a good "but") I kept going. I kept doing it anyway, and ever so slowly, the only thing that was left was, "What if I succeed?"



Well, guess what? I have succeeded beyond my wildest expectations and I'm continuing to grow and see success in ways I couldn't even imagine.

Then yesterday happened.

You see, since putting my goal and intentions out there about the 5K and about my fundraising goal, something weird happened.

Some little mental "what if" gnats appeared again... followed by a few Fear Flies.

All of a sudden I went from looking at the upcoming event as a fun way to enjoy my current level of fitness, to OMG must take it serious!

I went for a 2 mile walk/run after work. It's been part of my routine for a couple of weeks because I decided it was time to kick things up a notch to move me towards one of my goals a little quicker. It wasn't something I *had* to do, it was something I wanted to do. For me.

But those darn Flies started buzzing, telling that I had to "train" not just do, I had to increase my speed, what was I thinking, I needed to do this or that. They followed me for the entire 2 miles. Then the gnats started in with the 'what if you can't do it? what if you come in last?'

When I got home I was about ready to send out an email to everyone saying 'Changed my mind, nothing to see here, move along.'

Instead, *I* got an email... several actually... saying donations had been made.



In less than 24 hours, I am just a few dollars short of my initial goal of $400. The first day!

And I was cc'd on emails that folks had forwarded my message around to others.

So I got out my mental fly swatter to rid myself of those pesky Fear Files.

I put up my mental pest strip to ward off the gnats...

I reminded myself that this WAs fun, that I was doing it for me, and because of the amazing love and support I've received in such a short amount of time, it was time to stop limiting myself and dream BIG!

I increased my financial goal from $400, to $4,000! Heck, I'm confident I'll have to raise that number again.

I'm also confident that, no matter my time for this run, no matter what my placement when I cross that finish line, it will be FUN, and it WILL be a personal best!



Thank you all for helping me SOAR!


PS Help me make my goal: www.firstgiving.com/stephanieflagghanley Thanks!


No comments: