Sunday, May 17, 2009

Red sky in the morning...


You know the saying: Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning... well that's about what I've been feeling like this week. After reading my friend Ramona's blog, I realized it's been a week full of yellow and red flags.

I realized this after the numbers on the scale started to have more meaning than they usually do.

I weighed in on Friday and this morning at 155.0 and I was THRILLED and RELIEVED!

That's when I knew I was in trouble.

Yes, I'm happy to be even closer to my goal weight and to know that I'm literally ounces away from achieving a 'normal' BMI. But when I felt a sense of relief at the number, I knew I was on a slippery slope.

You see, the only time that the numbers on the scale matter to me is when I know full well that my actions and behaviors didn't match my results. I'd step on the scale and HOPE that it stayed in the same general range that it was in the day before - and sometimes weighing in more than once a day, 'just to be sure'.

Yes, I'm getting back into my habits after being sick, which threw me off more than I realized - I cooked all week, took lunch and snacks, did a little bit of strength and cardio, but overall. In reality, it was all half a$$ed effort and I felt myself straying off the path of health, and feeling content with 'mostly good enough'.

I'm just grateful that the path is wide. I'm also very grateful for all the work I've done to build a solid foundation that can withstand the occasional storm that comes my way. I have a big short goals that is propelling me forward, and I've kept it in my sights. Sometimes, though, life happens. My focus got shifted, but it's also given me the opportunity to plan where I'm going and how I'm going to get there.

So this week, the scale is going on a vacation to the guest bathroom, plan that I have written out for myself is going to be met with much enthusiasm and the weight room at Bally's isn't gonna know what hit it!

To take a page from the cover of Facing The Giants: "Never give up. Never back down. Never lose faith."

Now, I have a ton of groceries and a messy kitchen to deal with!


No comments: