Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rest & Recovery




I feel like there needs to be a 12-step program for people who are forced into inactivity after finally getting used to all the activity. As one of my lovely commenter's pointed out - it's my 'rest and recovery' time... Nice as it is, I'm sooo itching to get back to working out, but I shall bide my time until I go for a walk on Saturday to get my body moving again... how my lungs act will dictate where I walk.

I think that's been the most frustrating part - my allergies have really kicked in. I've had to use my inhaler 3 times this week, which is 3 times more than in the past 6 months. eeks!

But the interesting thing is that this break has also included a food break of sorts. I'm still mindful of what I'm eating, but instead of tracking every little thing, I've been experimenting with my 'intuitive' eating... using the general portion guidelines and making sure I have a balance of carbs, protein and a little fat with every meal/snack.

Not only have I dropped a pound this week (think by body was just being grateful for the rest! :) I decided to record my food today and I'm smack on where I want to be ratio wise, calorie wise, and the fiber is way higher than I expected it to be. Go me!

This experiment came about because I was starting to feel a bit disconnected from the process. While it's good to use a food log to track what you're eating and identifying trends, I felt like I was relying a little *too* much on it. Sort of like the scale - when you find that you're weighing yourself 3-4 times a day, it's time to back away and let your body do it's thing with out the constant micromanagement.

Apparently, at least for this week, I know what the heck I'm doing. And I've also got my shopping list for the next 2 weeks worth of meals (that's the next experiment - having groceries/meals on hand for at least 2 weeks so I don't have to keep going to the store.)




Technorati : , , , , ,

No comments: