Monday, August 17, 2009

My kind of crazy




This morning it was confirmed: I'm crazy.

Ok, I know most of you already knew that, so it's no big shocker. LOL!

Someone posted this comment on one of my groups: "That's not sweat! It's my body crying!" And I laughed my bum off!

Cuz that's how I felt this morning after my workout. You see, today's Workout Of the Day was: "Fight Gone Bad!" I saw it in my book and went YAY!!!

Here's what it consists of:

"Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps) [or you can do 'thrusters' basically a squat with a dumbbell shoulder press, which is what I did... Bally's doesn't look kindly on you throwing a 15-20# ball against their wall.]
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point."
----

You know you're chomping at the bit to try it!!

I have to admit, when I first found out about CrossFit, workouts like this scared the begeebers out of me. I mean, seriously! Who things this stuff is fun?!

Apparently, a lot of people... and I'm now one of them.

Excuse me?! I mean, these workouts bring MARINES to tears! (Interesting Side Note: CrossFit has started an amazing program called "Operation Phoenix" that donates fitness equipment to the Marine Corps. They started with Camp Pendleton, where my hubby did his basic. So go... support your troops so they can kick some serious a$$!)

Anyway, at some point I made the transition from, "Not just no, but heck no!" to, "Whoo hoo! Bring it!" Workouts like this morning, even though I didn't feel like it was my best effort, I was able to see a lot of improvement over last month when I did the same workout. Using the 45# bar instead of a 30# bar, increasing the height of the 'box' from an aerobic step on the floor to using 2 risers, using 15# dumbbells instead of 8#...

And getting my 'stations' set up was like setting up my own personal playground. Despite how intimidating or scary CrossFit looks on the surface, it's really all about putting the FUN into functional fitness. It helps turn the whole world into your playground... of pain! LOL!


No comments: