Saturday, September 13, 2008

Letting Go



Weight loss is a lot like therapy.

I swear it feels like each fat cell holds a memory of the time, place, and frame of mind that it was created and until I'm ready to deal with it, it's not budging.

It's helped a lot that I've learned to deal with several of my motivational issues, and my nutrition issues, not to mention getting myself in a better frame of mind overall to accept the changes that are going on.

And then you're sitting there going, "yeah, yeah, that's great... what does a picture of old towels have to do with any of this?"

Well, a lot actually.

I've noticed that the changes that I've been going through have impacted more than my health - they've had a positive impact on my home. I've got more energy to do a little bit extra when I get home, and I'm a lot more able to release the clutter that's accumulated over the many years. It's like the more the mental and body clutter gets cleared away, the more that I'm able clear out the clutter in my home. Things that I've been holding on to just because are easier to let go of now because they are things. The memories are still there, but the things themselves don't have to be around for me to know that.

Like these towels.

I got these towels in the winter of 1989 in preparation for going off to Michigan State in January, 1990. I went to the community college for the my pre-req stuff and lived at home. This was the first time I was living on my own, *and* having to deal with dorm life - oooh was that a doozy! We went shopping, can't remember where I got these, but I picked out these nice oversize towels and matching wash cloths and hand towels to go with me on that journey. They were then packed up to move with me across country to Arizona. They've been with me through 3 apartments, a rental house and finally the home that I bought. They served as beds to my kitties when they would get in the cupboards and, sadly, kept my Patitas warm on the way her last vets visit. ::sniff::

When my honey moved in with all of his stuff, including a new set of towels, he commented 'why don't we get rid of these towels-they're looking kinda old.' I just said no, and kept them. When we were moving into this house, he brought it up again, and again I said no. I wasn't quite ready to get rid of them - there was no good reason to keep them other than sentimental reasons.

A couple of weeks ago, I was going through my closet and decided it was time for them to go. It was one of those moments, similar to the decisions one makes when it's really time to start eating right, or start exercising, you just know it and do it rather than thinking about it. I dropped this set off at the vets office this morning and am happy they will have a new life - cleaning and keeping kitties and puppies warm and dry, and I have a slightly emptier cupboard. It's a win-win. :)




Technorati : , , , ,

No comments: