Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Hu-Rah Day!




This handsome devil dog is my hubby... a loooong time ago!

It's his 'graduation' photo from the Corp's bootcamp. I couldn't tell you the date he completed boot camp, but I can tell you that while his time was cut short due to medical issues, his time in the Corp impacted him profoundly. I mistakenly called him an 'former-marine' and was 'enlightented' to the fact that there is no such thing - you're either active, not-active or dead.

So why am I sharing this?

Because today marks the 234th birthday of the Marine Corps... which makes them older than the country they fight to protect.



While I don't claim to really understand the culture, I do know that it's strong, it's deep, and it breeds fierce loyalty. They, like other branches of the military, do what needs to be done so that the rest of us can do what we want.

For that I am grateful.



Hu-Rah!

This week also has the observation of Veterans Day/Armistice Day/Remberance Day to commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Rethondes, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning - the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month". It is also a time to commemorate those members of the armed forces who were killed during war. (gotta love Wikipedia!)

I, like many, saw Veterans Day & Memorial Day as just another day off to maybe spend with friends, to mark the beginning or end of a season, or an excuse for a cook out/party. "This is for people who died? Really? Oh... ummm... can I have another burger?"

Over the past few years, in no small part due to the influence of my hubby, my appreciation of the sacrifices made by the few for the many has grown. Because of duties carried out by the men and women of the military, I am able to be free to persue my own brand of silliness!

So this week, I will be persuing that silliness and expressing my gratitude for these fine gentlemen who have earned the honor of a posthumous CrossFit Workout being named after them, and are part of the, sadly, ever growing list of CF Heros.

I promise, for my part to perform each workout with determination and to the best of my ability.

Monday: "Daniel"

Dedicated to Army Sgt 1st Class Daniel Crabtree who was killed in Al Kut, Iraq on Thursday June 8th 2006.

First Posted 15 June 2006
50 Pull-ups
400 meter run
95 pound Thruster, 21 reps
800 meter run
95 pound Thruster, 21 reps
400 meter run
50 Pull-ups
For time

Tuesday: "JT"

In honor of Petty Officer 1st Class Jeff Taylor, 30, of Little Creek, VA, who was killed in Afghanistan June 2005

First posted 6 July 2005
Handstand push-ups
Ring dips
Push-ups
21-15-9 reps, for time

Wednesday: A reflectful rest day.

Thursday: "Michael"

In honor of Navy Lieutenant Michael McGreevy, 30, of Portville, NY, who was killed in Afghanistan June 28 2005.

First posted 15 July 2005
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups
3 rounds for time

Friday: "Murph"

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it 'Body Armor.' From here on it will be referred to as 'Murph' in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

First posted 18 August 2005
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run
For time.
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.


No comments: