Monday, October 19, 2009

Questions for my runnin' peeps


I'm sure ya'll are sick of hearing about this, but I'm a wee bit excited about the Great Pumpkin Race coming up on Saturday... and nervous, especially about getting stuff prepared for it. Was hopin' I could get some advice from those who have run before me to make sure I don't make some major faux pas on the big day.

Any advice is welcome (except for the advice to sleep in and skip the event. ;)

Questions:

1) What do you eat?!
Ok, this is kind of a silly one, I know, but figured I'd ask - do you have a "good luck" breakfast?

What I usually have on the weekends when I have a little more time between food and run, I have PB & Toast with some coffee & lots of water. During the week, I usually have a little (like 1-2 spoonful's) of oatmeal & applesauce mixed with 1/2-1 spoonful of protein powder. I can't say either makes me feel on top of the world, but I also don't feel like poo during the run either.

2) What to take?

My list is sort of growing, including my race packet (duh), a cooler for snackies & a baggie of ice for my knee (which has been ::knock on wood:: awesome and I don't want that to change!), my iPod, lots of water, sunscreen, and a shirt to change into afterwards to cut down the stinky factor. Anything thing else?!

3) How early should I get there?!

The official start time is 8 am, and the location is about 45 minutes from my house. I was thinking of getting there by 7:30 - too early? too late?

4) This one is for the ladies:

Ok, this is sorta embarrassing but ya see... I'm, well, 'curvy'. As such, I need to make sure that I have a sung, supportive sports bra to minimize the 'girls' bouncing all over the place. The issue is, with adding running into the mix, and distance over the last few weeks, and the AZ heat (even in the fall), there's been some chaffing issues.

Ow.

Any idea on how to minimize that?

5) Is there anything else I should know?!

I'm focusing on the fun part - really, I am! It's just good to have some pointers from more seasoned competitors - those things that, when you showed up for YOUR first race, you thought, "DOH! Wish I had _______!"

Thanks!!!


1 comment:

Trainer T.s Fitness said...

I do a protein shake, and a shot of nutrazon.

Also, this is a trick I have been doing for years. I take sugar free altoids and put one in each side of my bottom jaw.

As you breathe in the mint it opens the pathway of the sinuses and it also has the peppermint that awakens you with energy.

Other then rocking music and a focus on the finish line, thats all you need. Good Luck, I know you will do GREAT!