Friday, October 16, 2009

Fired Up Friday: Bonus Why-volution Edition!


Pardon me for a moment while I put on my Motivational Speaker hat and step up on a podium.

There's been a LOT that's been going on in my little world... most of the things I write about barely scratch the surface, or completely gloss over some of the trials, tribulations, celebrations, or general mundane happenings in my life.

But lately, it feels like the poo has hit, well, _all_ the fans - some of it good, some of it not so great, most of it scary.

It's times like this that I need to start listening to my own advice, because I'm told I have some pretty good stuff. ;) I encourage others to dream big, set big goals, say affirmations as if you've already achieved the goals! Who cares if you can't fit into any of the clothes in your closet right now - tell yourself you look fantastic in your size 8's! Who cares if you can't pay the bills this month - tell yourself every day that you are financially free with enough money to share and to spare!

Or in my case, I haven't finished my PT cert yet, and I'm telling you all I'm opening a full service fitness center.

::deep breath::

As happens, when you make a decision, allow a dream to grow within you, when you make it public, focus your efforts on it, the universe conspires on your behalf to help you achieve it. That conspiracy comes in many forms - small signs to keep you inspired, placing people in your path that can help, small windfalls just when you need it most.

This week has been full of those moments - generally small things that happen when I'm in the midst of freaking out but trying to remind myself that it's only a situation, and situations change.

Case in point, I recieved this email today from Jonathan Roche, my fave inspirational trainer:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Destined for Greatness!
I saw these words on the burp cloth that Karen pulled out for Benjamin (now 4 months) this morning and I loved seeing it.

When we are young we are told that we can do anything we set our minds to and are given the impression (and it is true) that we are Destined for Greatness. But somewhere along the way we pull back on shooting for the moon and instead just go with the flow.

What big dreams do you have asleep inside of you? Have you dreamed of finishing a 5K, a 10K or even a marathon? Have you dreamed of having unlimited energy and/or being a healthy role model to your kids? Every one of us has had big dreams at some point and everyone of us has the strength inside to accomplish anything we set our minds to. You were "Destined for Greatness" when you were born and I think today is the day to begin dreaming big again and then making it happen. Yes you can!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This made me think of when I started my Mary Kay Business many moons ago. My director asked me what 'Little Girl' dreams I'd forgotten about and would like to achieve. I honestly had no clue where to even start looking for those dreams, or how to come up with new ones.

When I met my hubby, he asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. I had no clue.

I read Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, and he said to at least start out with a 1 year goal, and break it down to 9, 6, and 3 month goals. But what do I pick?!

My hubby started with his now mentor, John DiLemme, and he said to "Find your Why... NOW!" But... but... What if I don't know it?! ::flop::

This process has made me realize that the habit of living day to day, not seeing beyond tomorrow, or only looking forward to friday, the next week, the next pay check, the next holiday - that is a learned behavior.

Then it hit me: If I learned how to STOP dreaming... I can learn to START!

It's not that we don't have hopes and dreams, it's that we've learned to put those dreams aside for the "greater good".

As children we were given unlimited encouragement and permission to dream fantastical dreams!

"What do you want to be when you grow up?!"

"I want to be a fireman! And live on a ranch! With purple ponies and a HUGE waterfall! And walk on the moon!"

"That's fantastic! You can do anything you want to do! The sun and the moon and the stars are the limit!"

Then somewhere along the way, limits and boundries were put on our dreams. We were told that it was silly to want (fill in the blank)... or, out of the deepest love and concern to not think of such things, you're fine just the way you are.

So you stop sharing your dreams, or you stop dreaming all together.

One day you realize that your biggest dream is that the dog hasn't dug up the yard and that your kids have actually put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

You start thinking, "This is as good as it gets. Who am I to think that I can do something great?!"

To quote the awesome Marianne Wilson: Who are you NOT to be?

EVERYONE has seeds of greatness inside them! Everyone!

One of the things I loved about the Mary Kay business was being told that there was room for everyone at the top, and it's the same with life.

EVERYONE deserves to be great! If you dream it, you can achieve it.

So what long forgotten dreams are stirring in you right now?

Don't shake your head at me, saying you don't have one...I know you do. Problem is, you're so used to ignoring it that it scares you to dare to face it.

But you can do it! There's a compelling WHY, a huge dream, a pretty, pretty princess, handsome prince that deserves greatness inside of you clammoring to get out!

Say that dream out loud! Give it room to grow! Find your WHY and start your own WHY-volution!

I believe in you!

Be prepared to be amazed!!!

::Bow:: There's books & CD's for sale in the lobby. Thank you & have a great day!

::steps off podium::


No comments: