Monday, February 22, 2010

Race for the Cure!

Hey all! Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be running in the competitve 5K Race for the Cure on April 11th to raise awareness of breast cancer and the impact it has on everyone!

I'm super excited since this is my 2nd competitive race (I had a blast during my first race!) and am proud to support my friend during her first race!

I decided to participate in this event for many reasons. Not only am I looking forward to bettering myself and my fitness level, I have many friends who's lives have been touched by this disease. The women who endure the treatments and the strength they display during the challenge it brings to their lives and family is inspiring to everyone around them.

Eleanor Roosevelt described it perfectly when she said, "A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."

These women prove to me what it means to "fight like a girl" and as such, I have created a team by the same name! I would love to share this event with everyone! And the great thing is, there's a 'sleep in for the cure' . Not in town on race day? Not a morning person? Hate to exercise? NO PROBLEM!!! You can stay home, comfy in your jammies and still play an important role in raising funds for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®. You will be sent a special gift, along with a T-Shirt (perfect for sleepwear, lounging and being a couch potato) and you don't need to get out of bed!

Here's the info on my team page: tinyurl.com/JoinFightLikeAGirl

My main goal for participating in this event is not to raise a ton of money, but to increase awareness for this disease and for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure Foundation. Since it's inception in 1999 the foundation has raised over $5 million, with some of that money benefiting the men and women of Southern Arizona. Seventy five percent of our net revenue helps uninsured and underinsured women have access to lifesaving programs of screening, education and treatment throughout Southern Arizona. If you fel so inclined to donate to this organization so they can continue to do their work, I have set up a personal donation page: http://tinyurl.com/SponserSteph (yeah, I know it's spelled wrong... coffee hadn't quite kicked in. :)

Regardless if you are able to donate or join in one of the many Race for the Cure events around the country this year, I ask that you take a moment to think of anyone you know who's life has been touched by breast cancer and say a small prayer for them.

They may be at the beginning of this journey, a survivor, or be one of the fallen.

Send them love and strength and help them (and their familes) to fight like a girl!

And think of me in the wee hours of Sunday, April 11th - send thoughts of strong knees and fast feet!


No comments: