Monday, January 4, 2010

I see your paradigm...


...and shift you, ever so slightly...

A Paradigm Shift: a change from one way of thinking to another. It's a revolution, a transformation, a sort of metamorphosis. It just does not happen, but rather it is driven by agents of change.

I was going to share all these fun statistics I found about how X% of people have given up on their New Years Resolutions and why "diets" fail...



Yeah, how positive and encouraging is that? You know where you are on your journey, your goals, your dreams... I don't need to point out either the obvious or opposite of where you are.

Besides it so not what I'm about.

Anywho, back to the paradigm thingy. Ever have those days where you have a feeling that the universe is trying to tell you something?

Well, for me, the last couple of days, it's been more than a feeling - it's been like a big 'ol ClueX4(tm) smack upside the head. LOL!!!

Over all the message is: Get a different perspective.

And the interesting thing is that I got it from lots of different sources: different email newsletters, a link to the Mayo Clinic's "diet" (I love their "are you ready?" article by the way.) but I think my pastor presented it best as part of his sermon: Do you have a "have to" or a "get to" attitude.

Think about it... There's always stuff we know we should be doing...and some of that stuff we actually /are/ doing. But what's your attitude towards it? Are you doing it grudgingly or gratefully?

Do you lay in bed in the morning when your alarm goes off and think, "Ugh! I /have/ to go to the gym and do my workout."

Or is there a bit of excitement at the privilege of _getting_ to workout?

It's 5:30 pm, do you groan at the thought of _having_ to make dinner?

Or are you happy that you have wholesome food that you _get_ to prepare for yourself and your family?

One of the things that I struggle with is being grateful. When you're faced with things you'd rather not do, you're heart just isn't into it right this moment, or it feels like life dumped a whole pile of karmic poo in your lap, it's hard to see that silver lining.

But every so often, it's good to shift your thinking, ever so slightly... looking at things as a privilege, something you GET to do, like some great service or gift you're bestowing on someone... only that someone is YOU!

What do you say? Ready to set off a revolution in your life with a slight change in thinking?
Ready to challenge yourself the next time your energy is faltering and you feel like everyting is a "have to"? Give the "get to's" a try! You might like it. :)


2 comments:

angie said...

I'll see your paradigm shift and raise you an...um, alternate reality. Ok, I got nothing. And this is probably why I don't play poker.

I like the way you present this and I'm going to work on keeping it in mind throughout my day tomorrow. It's a very busy (read: stressful) time at work for me and I always dread this time of year. However, I will concentrate on being happy that I *HAVE* a job and that it pays pretty good for the rural area in which I live.

Thanks for the gentle nudge in the right direction!

Stephanie said...

Well... you *have* a job that pays for your gym membership where you *get* to do CrossFIt... works for me. :)

HUGS!!!