Thursday, March 22, 2007

Memorial

Erin’s memorial service is on Sunday, and I’ve been debating on going or not. I’ve never met her and it seems almost like I’d be a false presence amongst those that knew her and who’s lives she touched. But then again, I want to be there for Billy. My Honey even asked why I would want to go if I didn’t know her, but it’s something I feel like I should do.

Then my dad, in his wisdom, hit the nail on the head. I made a comment about feeling like Meemaw because of it. We always joked about how Meemaw would go to anyone’s funeral, someone she knew, someone related to or friends with someone she knew, etc. She also kept the dates of peoples death on her calendar along with birthdays and anniversaries. It always seemed like she had a morbid fascination with death, but my dad said something that put it in a new light: That it was her own form of ministry. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The memorial services are for the living to share their thoughts and memories of the person who has passed on. It’s also a collective way to share each others energy, to give strength to the family and those who have been left behind. Yes it’s a sad occasion, but even for someone you don’t know or know well, it’s a physical showing of love, support, and how the person touched many lives, directly or indirectly. In this case, I never met Erin, but I know Billy and what she meant to him. Through him, I knew her, and as a result am a better person for it. I owe it to him and to her memory, to show my support and share my strength with the other people in attendance.

No comments: