Friday, March 5, 2010

Dinner Dilemma: Solved!


And I had to email my dad to tell him what was on the menu.

Why would I do that?

I'm glad you asked - funny story, actually.

Out of all the memories I have from the past *mumblemumble* years, there is one that stands out above all others.

And really, considering I can barely remember what I did an hour ago, that's saying a LOT! LOL!!!

Growing up, I was blessed to have a mom with mad cooking skills and she exercised those skills with abandon. While we would always have nummy food any night of the week, it was Friday night dinner that reigned supreme!

You see, Friday night was the night reserved for the fun foods: Spaghetti! Taco's! Burgers & OMG nummy homemade fries! Pizza (homemade, of course!)!

It was The Night. It was worthy of missing sleep overs for. It was the thing that made me not mind being late to high school football games to hang out with my friends.

Except for that night... the dreaded night.

I came home from school but wasn't met with any sort of fabulous baking/greasy/tomato-y type of smells... I was perplexed.

I went to the kitchen to see a pot on the stove... but nary a sauce or stick of pasta was to be found.

"Um..." I asked nonchalantly, "So... what's for dinner."

My mom replied, ever so casually, "Soup."

Before I could engage my brain/mouth filter... oh wait, I was a pre-teen, I hadn't developed a brain/mouth filter yet... I went on a good 5 minute tirade. "SOUP?!?!?" I exclaimed.

"SOOOUP!?! It's Friday! We doing have soooooop on Fridays! Sooooup?!? Who heard of having soooooup on a Friday! Seriously! It's not even anything chili or clam chowder!"

Dad got home and I confronted him: "We're having SOOOOUP!"

Expecting outrage for my cause, all I got was, "Oh, sounds good."

In my pre-teen dramatic way, I stormed around for a bit longer, probably went to my room and pouted before I finally went down and begrudgingly ate my sooooup.

Needless to say that we never had sooooup again on a Friday night while I was living at home.

And the rare occassion that I have sooooup on a Friday, I have to call my parents so we can have a good giggle.

So... one guess what I'm having for dinner tonight?

No comments: