Monday, January 5, 2009

People make plans...


God laughs. That's about how I feel since I was all set to write about one thing, then got this monster flick in the head from a different direction.

It started with my hubby stealing his ideas back.

And was quickly followed by the Healthy Reflection...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain, American writer"

Then VEEJAY3 wrote an amazing entry on creating and exploring your own paths.

So... now that the PTB have my attention what am I to take from this?

Well, on the surface of it, I get that I'm on the right path - getting comfortable with discomfort, doing new and different things, and all that jazz.

I also get the message as a word of caution. This weekend I commented/thought several times: I'm _so_ happy to be back to my old routine! Uh oh! Is that me slipping back to comfort so soon? Yes, but not really. There is comfort in routine. However, there is also strength and freedom. Routine means knowing what needs to be done, knowing what works, and DOING it, then tweaking it when it stops working or find a new way to do things if need be.

So this message is of encouragement. This weekend wasn't really my old routine, though. Part if was - shopping, prepping food for the week, planning my meals & workouts. The other part, the DOING IT part, that was kind of new. I spent more time moving the last couple of days than I think I did the entire month of December. I took out 2-3 bags to the recycle bin, I took out 3 bags of trash. I created a larger donation pile. I crossed off all but one thing on my 'to-do'list... and yet I felt like I spent most of the time on the couch. I ventured outside of my 'routine' and spurred myself into action. I also had the chance to do more reading, touch base with friends, and contemplate the path ahead of me.

It's also a message of faith. Reminding me I don't need the ruby slippers, I have all the information I need inside me. But I have to explore uncharted waters, forge a new path in my brain, in my heart, in my soul to really let it out.




Technorati : , , , ,

No comments: